Monday, September 20, 2010

Oops. Kindle Cannot Support Library Books

By Vince Horiuchi
The Salt Lake Tribune
Published Sep 13, 2010 01:16PM

Last week, in a question about which e-book reader is best, I was asked which is a good model for renting digital downloadable books from public libraries.

In a sudden fit of brain cramps, I wrote that Amazons Kindle e-reader can download library books. WRONG!

I later learned from a batch of readers and the Salt Lake County Library that the libraries in fact do not support the Kindle. My bad...

But if I read the fine print on the librarys website, I would have realized that the PDF books rented out by the library use DRM, or digital rights management, to protect the files from being copied. Unfortunately, the Kindle does not support that kind of DRM. Why?...

At this point, they want customers of the Kindle and iPad to purchase the files hence, not making them available from their local library.

No comments: