Tuesday, January 16, 2007

No clerk could replace services of a librarian

First published in the Times Union: Tuesday, January 16, 2007

With regard to the many responses to Albert Paolucci's Dec. 30 letter about bookstores replacing libraries, one essential factor has not been mentioned: the librarian.

An educated professional, it is the librarian who first found books for me to read to meet the summer 100-book challenge (librarian created) when I was young.

It was the public library librarian who helped me figure out the labyrinth of reference directories and resources during high school and the librarian who helped me find research material when writing my master's papers. And it was the librarian who created interesting events to which to bring my children.

No clerk at a bookstore can do all that and so much more. So, thank you to all the librarians who make the libraries the inviting, educational places they are. And Mr. Paolucci, don't be absurd.

SHARON SIEGEL

Albany

No comments: