Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Neil Gaiman On The Importance of Libraries, Reading, and Daydreaming

From Departing the Text:


The following is a speech I found at theguardian.com posted October 15, 2013. It advocates the importance of reading, of fiction and of libraries as well as our obligation to support them.

If you're anything like me there just isn't enough time in your day to get to everything you want to.

So for you (and actually for me as well), I want to park an article I found here. I've already read it once, but this is the kind of thing that writers, teachers, and folks interested in creating, need to look at and read more than once. I warn you, it's long, but worth the time when you find it. This article was found at http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/15/neil-gaiman-future-libraries-reading-daydreaming and posted online Tuesday, October 15, 2013.

So read (or re-read) it now, read it on the train or bus to or from work, read it while waiting for someone, or leave it parked here and revisit it later when there's more time. It's empowering.

No comments: