Saturday, February 07, 2015
Librarian/Archivist (Schenectady, NY)
The Schenectady County Historical Society is seeking an enthusiastic individual with a strong interest in local and public history and a commitment to public service for the position of Librarian/Archivist. In addition, the successful candidate will have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Society staff, Board of Trustees, Board Committees, volunteers, donors, and the general public.
The Society’s Grems-Doolittle Library specializes in local history and genealogy. The Library collects these materials in a variety of formats and makes them available for use by the public in person and through remote access.
Candidates should have a Master’s degree in information science or its equivalent from a program accredited by the American Library Association (required). Archives concentration or coursework is preferred.
Benefits include health insurance and employer contributions to a 403b retirement plan. Salary is commensurate with experience.
• Overseeing the selection, acquisition, appraisal, accessioning, processing, preservation, arrangement, description, and cataloging of library and archival materials.
• Planning, conducting, and evaluating public programs
• Providing reference and research assistance to diverse users
• Promoting library collections and programming via public relations and marketing activities
• Designing and creating content for the Society website, social media outlets, and library blog
• Developing and updating library policies
• Managing library budget and library statistics
• Training and supervising library volunteers
• Developing donor contacts
• Overseeing the Society’s archives and records management program
Required Education and Experience
• Master’s degree in librarianship (MLS/MLIS/MSIS) from an ALA-accredited program
• Strong command of archival theory and best practices including EAD, MARC, DACS
• At least two years of professional level experience in a special collections or archives environment
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues, and serve customers in a diverse environment
• Excellent customer service skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent research and reference service skills
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
• Proficiency with web design and social media tools
• Supervisory/management experience
• Grant writing experience
• Experience with PastPerfect software
Cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references should be submitted by March 5, 2015 to:
Schenectady County Historical Society
32 Washington Avenue, Schenectady, NY 12305
Link to job announcement: http://